Portrait collection of the University of Amsterdam
The University of Amsterdam’s portrait collection was begun in 1743 and consists nowadays of almost 500 portraits.
In 1743, the Amsterdam merchant Gerard van Papenbroeck bequeathed fifty portraits of ‘Learned and Celebrated men’ to the Athenaeum Illustre, the predecessor of the University of Amsterdam. Until 1864 the entire collection was housed in the Agnietenkapel, the original site of the Athenaeum Illustre. Now, more than 250 years later, the collection consists of almost 500 portraits, spread over the university. In this image archive, all of the portraits – most of which are not publicly accessible – can be viewed together.