Cultural History of the Early Modern Period
This collection domain covers European cultural history from circa 1500 to circa 1800. The collections within this collection domain have traditionally focused on printed materials produced in Amsterdam, which was the main centre of book production in Europe in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. In addition, over the centuries, dozens of original collections, both large and small, and relating primarily to the history of Amsterdam, have been added to the existing collections.
This collection domain comprises over 100,000 books, more than 25,000 pamphlets and tens of thousands of plano prints. It also includes tens of thousands of letters and manuscripts, 20,000 prints and countless other objects, such as paintings, busts and medals.
Above all, the collection is a large and varied selection of printed historical sources and is of importance to many kinds of historical research. There is close collaboration with the research group for Book and Manuscript Studies, the departments of Dutch Studies and History, and the Amsterdam Centre for the Study of the Golden Age.
Dutch language and literature, especially plays and authors’ collections, for instance by Vondel and Hooft
History, especially the history of the Dutch Golden Age, the city of Amsterdam and the Radical Enlightenment (Spinoza and his circle)
Popular publications (almanacs, ephemera)
Suriname collection (up to 1975)
History of art and books, especially Amsterdam book production, Dutch and European book decoration, typographical highlights of the hand-press period and remarkable bindings
History of music, especially spiritual and secular song books, voice books, song sheets and books about music
- Library of Jacob Buyck
- Collection Johannes Hilman (plays)
- Collection Vondelmuseum
- Collection Gerard van Papenbroeck
- Collection P.A. Pijnappel
- Collection Leo Polak
- Collection of the Maatschappij tot Bevordering der Toonkunst
- Paedagogische Bibliotheek
- Collection of the Nederlandsch Schoolmuseum
- Francesco Colonna, Hypnerotomachia Poliphi, S.l. 1499. Inc. 44.
- Binding made for Jean Grollier: Bernardino Partenio, Pro lingua Latina oratio. Venice 1545. Band 3 D 1.
- Pieter Cornelisz Hooft, Eerste rijmkladboek. Autograph copy of his poems 1601–1609. Hs. II C 14 E.
- Pieter Cornelisz Hooft, Tweede rijmkladboek. Autograph copy of his poems 1609–1620. Hs. II C 14 F.
- Pieter Cornelisz Hooft, Derde rijmkladboek. Autograph copy of his poems 1621–1641. Hs. II C 14 G.
- Binding by Albertus Magnus: Biblia, dat is: de gantsche H. Schrifture. Amsterdam 1664. Band 4 B 1 (1)
- De Schouwburg van Amsteldam en zyn oude en nieuwe tooneelen beschreeven; met desselfs eeuwgetyde geviert den 7. van louwmaand des jaars 1738. Hs. XXI B 26.